On July 15 and 16 TSSU members voted overwhelmingly to authorize strike and picket action. Last night, the Strike Committee decided to return to “Marking for Education not Administration.” All assignments submitted after 11:59 pm on July 21st (today) will be subject to this job action. The goal of this action is to build pressure to get us to a Collective Agreement that addresses our core issues.
Full instructions and a message to communicate to students are available below. Here’s a summary of what you may and must not do.
During this job action you may:
- Mark assignments due before July 22nd using your normal procedure
- Continue to provide verbal and written feedback, as long as this feedback does not communicate the mark received via any quantifiable means, including a letter grade, score, percentage, etc.
- Inform students if they have failed an assignment or exam
During this job action you must not:
- Record marks for any assignments or exams subject to this job action* via physical or electronic means available to the employer
- Communicate marks or grades for any assignments or exams subject to this job action* to students or the Course Supervisor
- After July 21st, participate in group marking outside SFU’s regular business hours of 8:30am-4:30pm Monday to Friday, unless the Course Supervisor has obtained prior approval from the TSSU Strike Committee.
- After July 21st, record marks on any exams being group marked, instead record them on a coversheet as per the Group Marking Instructions.
* Except for group marking (see additional instructions), the only assignments and exams covered by this job action are those which were due after 11:59 pm on July 21st, 2015. For full details, see the Frequently Asked Questions document below
Our goal is to get a fair and reasonable collective agreement, and we will need the support of the campus community to achieve that. Please encourage your students to visit support.tssu.ca to find out ways they can get involved. One simple and easy thing they can do is email SFU President Andrew Petter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or concerns you can contact TSSU via:
TSSU office: 778.782.4735